Sour Cherry Pie
IngredientsMakes 1 nine-inch pie
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Pate Brisee (Pie Dough)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 7 cups cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the dough to 1/8-inch-thick circle, about 13 inches in diameter. Drape dough over a 9-inch pie pan, and transfer to refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk together beaten egg and milk, and set aside. Combine cherries, lemon juice, sugar, and flour, and pour into chilled bottom crust. Dot with butter. Roll out the remaining dough to the same size and thickness. Brush rim of bottom crust with the remaining beaten egg, place the other piecrust on top, and crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers. Transfer to the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes. Brush the crust with egg wash, and bake 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. and bake 30 to 40 minutes more. Let cool before serving.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Sour Cherry Pie and more delicious recipes, smart cooking tips, and video demonstrations on marthastewart.com